Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

To debt free and back again


Every post college student understands the pain and turmoil that suddenly hits you about a month after graduating when that first bill from SallieMae shows up in your mailbox and from that moment on you (if you’re anything like me) dream about the day when you’ll be able to stick it to the man and pay off that last bill. 

Okay, so maybe the rest of the world isn’t as consumed with paying off debt in the same obsessive way that I am. Experts advise us to pay off our debt as quickly as we can, little do they know the type of food I’ve been trying to live off of the last four years.

Either way, for the past several months I’ve been anticipating the glorious day when I would pull up my balance online and see a big goose egg staring back at me. I planned to celebrate big time, gathering with all my friends for a beer or two at my favorite Irish pub. It was coming soon too. At the rate I was paying out, I was expecting to be finished in June.

You can imagine my disappointment about a month ago I was rear ended on I-35 and while thankfully no one was hurt my poor little Accord had seen her last road trip, and there on the interstate amid rush hour traffic my dream of being debt free died. 

So the rearranging of finances began and so did the search for a car. After paying off my loans early, lots of stress, giving up my Easter break with family and what seemed like an endless few weeks without a car I am quite relieved to say that I purchased a new car. So here's to being debt free for three whole days only to go back into debt once again. Life has a funny way of keeping you humble. I am so blessed.  

                                                                                                              - Nicole 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment